Yoga and Hiking in Nepal
Nepal is a magical travel destination and the ideal place to balance body and mind with yoga and hiking. It is a land of snow peaks and Sherpas, yaks and yetis, monasteries and mantras. And there’s nothing quite like Nepalese hospitality. They may not have much, but Nepalese people will give you everything. We guarantee you’ll leave Nepal with deep respect and admiration for them.
Head off on an invigorating 5-day trek to Poon Hill in the Annapurna region. Your experienced guide will lead you through Rhododendron forests, terraced hills and charming village communities. The highlight of the trek is to hike to Poon Hill viewpoint in time to see the breathtaking Himalayan mountain range bathed in the colours of sunrise. To complement daily explorations on foot we offer energising and restorative yoga and meditation sessions with a qualified yoga teacher.
After your rewarding trek, we invite you to unwind over 4 nights at a specialised yoga retreat set in tranquil surrounds and overlooking the splendid Phewa Lake in Pokhara. Yoga beginners will be encouraged to explore their asana practice and yoga fundamentals in a safe and nurturing environment. Experienced yogis can take their practice to a new level and discover different facets of a complete yoga practice under the guidance of experienced teachers. Daily programs are designed to develop a complete union of mind, body and spirit through an exploration of a wide range of yoga and meditation practices. A holistic approach will give you what you need to develop a practice and lifestyle that you can sustain long after your holiday ends. We’re confident this exhilarating trip will strengthen you physically and emotionally. It may even become one of your life’s highlights.
Get Ready For
- Trek in the spectacular Annapurna region
- Yoga and meditation while reconnecting with nature
- Relax, unwind, de-stress, revitalise at a tranquil yoga retreat
- Enjoy daily rejuvenating yoga/meditation on your trek
- Benefit from the experience of qualified yoga instructors and trek guides
It is a panoramic thrill flying into Kathmandu on a clear day. The emotions conjured up by the views of snow-capped mountain peaks sprawling down below you are almost ecstatic, beginning a whole chain of memorable experiences that stay with you for a long, long time. A RAW Travel representative will meet you at the airport and escort you to your hotel. The representative will help you check into your designated hotel and brief you about your upcoming daily activities.
We take a short but scenic 30-minute flight to Pokhara, enjoying the views of Ganesh, Manaslu and the Annapurnas along the way. With majestic sights of snow-capped mountain peaks and tranquil lakes, Pokhara’s beauty is sure to have you mesmerised. You will be collected from the airport and transferred to your hotel.
We start our trek today after a 3-hour drive by private vehicle from Pokhara. We begin our journey with a steep climb to Ulleri. Ulleri is a large Magar village and sits at 2,070m. We have to tackle a steep, stone stair climb but we take our time and pace ourselves. The trail then continues to ascend more gently, through fine forests of oak and rhododendron towards Banthanti (2,250m), where we spend the night. Today’s walk offers a short and relatively easy day to help us acclimatise to the experience of trekking in Nepal.
Meals: B, L, D
Today we trek towards Nangethanti (2,460m), continuing on a path through a dense forest of rhododendron and oak. After another hour of walking from here, we will finally reach Ghorepani at (2,860m). Ghorepani is an interesting place with small shops and stalls selling local products and crafts. The town is broken into an upper and a lower section. We stop at the higher part of Ghorepani village that offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains including Annapurna South and Nilgiri. Since Ghorepani lies a lot higher than our previous stop, we begin to feel cooler temperatures, especially in the evenings and mornings.
Meals: B, L, D
It’s a very early wake-up call this morning as we set off to make it to the top of Poon Hill (3,210m) before sunrise. If the weather is clear we can expect a brilliant spectacle as this vantage point provides superb views of the sun rising over the Himalayas, including the Annapurnas, Dhaulagiri and Fish Tail (Machhapuchhare) mountain ranges. We spend about 2 – 3 hours in and around Poon Hill before returning to Ghorepani where we have a hot breakfast and continue our trek to Tadapani village. From this destination, we can also get amazing views of Annapurna South, Annapurna II, Fishtail among others.
Meals: B, L, D
Today offers a gentle trek through beautiful lush green scenery. We climb along ridges and through pine and rhododendron forests, admiring beautiful mountain views along the way. We may be lucky enough to catch glimpses of some of the abundant wildlife in the area, such as deer, monkeys and many species of birdlife.
Meals: B, L, D
Today we walk down to the level of the river at Shyauli Bazaar. The trail leads through an open area with terraced fields, followed by a section of stone steps and passing by small villages along the way. From Shyauli Bazaar, we have a short stretch to Nayapul and from there we meet our transport for our drive back to Pokhara (1.5 hour drive). We overnight at the Purna Yoga retreat, in preparation for our yoga retreat commencing tomorrow.
Meals: B, L, D
Surrounded by a tranquil sanctuary of rolling, green hills and superb lake views, our daily practice aims to grow a deeper sense of inner health, providing you with techniques to help you balance your mind and body. Led by an experienced, certified yoga teacher, we invite you to escape the chaotic schedules of life and find rejuvenation through these spiritually engaging sessions.
Daily Schedule (example only)
- 6.15 am – Meditation (japa, inner sound, antar mouna, mantra, breath, silent)
- 7 am – Herbal tea
- 7.30 am – Jala Neti (nasal cleansing)
- 8 am – Yoga (pranayama, dynamic hatha, static asanas)
- 9.45 am – Yogic breakfast
- 11 am – Wellness activities (see Inclusions)
- 12.30 pm – Sound bath (sound immersion with gong, ancient singing bowls, bells and ocean drum)
- 1 pm – Yogic lunch
- 2 pm – Leisure time (relax, read, nap, swim in pool, explore, meditate)
- 4 pm – Herbal tea and snacks
- 4.30 pm – Bhakti Yoga (chanting of mantras and Kirtan)
- 5.30 pm – Yoga (Dynamic hatha with elements of flow, power, Ashtanga and Vinyasa)
- 6.30 pm – Yoga nidra (guided relaxation and visualisation)
- 7 pm – Yogic dinner
- 8 pm – Silent meditation
- 9 pm – Retire for the night
Meals: B, L, D
Today you will fly back to Kathmandu and be transferred to your hotel. The rest of the day is at your leisure to relax or explore Nepal’s lively capital.
Today you will be collected from your hotel for a sightseeing tour around Kathmandu with your English-speaking guide. You will visit Patan Durbar Square, Boudhanath Stupa, Pasupatinath and the Monkey temple (Swyambhunath). In the afternoon you will be transferred to the airport for your connecting flight.
- Airport transfers
- Domestic flights: Kathmandu–Pokhara–Kathmandu
- 2 nights deluxe, twin share accommodation in Kathmandu (B&B basis)
- 1 night deluxe, twin share accommodation in Pokhara
- 4 nights twin share accommodation in traditional teahouses while on trek
- Experienced, English-speaking trekking guide
- Porters to carry luggage (1 porter for every 2 guests; luggage limit is 12kg per person)
- Healthy snacks on the trek
- 4 nights accommodation at a specialised yoga retreat
- 1 x Ayurvedic massage per person
- Wellness activities at retreat including steam bath, mud bath, Himalayan pink salt foot bath, aroma steam inhalation
- Yoga mat and meditation blanket (to be returned at the end of the tour)
- Vegetarian, organic meals made from locally sourced ingredients at the yoga retreat
- RAW Travel yoga mat bag
- 11 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 9 dinners
- Luggage transfers on tour
- Conservation and trekking fees and permits (ACAP, TIMS)
- Certified and experienced yoga teacher throughout the tour
- Full-day sightseeing tour of Kathmandu with English speaking guide and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Document case, luggage tags
- Emergency contact numbers
- International airfares
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu
- Drinks (with the exception of water at the yoga retreat)
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
- Hot showers at teahouses (small fee applies)
- Single supplement $155 (for nights in Kathmandu only)
- Additional activities and therapies at the yoga retreat (these can be booked at your own expense)
- Tips for trekking guide and porters (this is at your discretion)
A yoga mat will be provided for the trip; however, you are welcome to bring your own.
Find out all you need to know about trekking in Nepal in our comprehensive free destination guide. It’s bursting with inspiration, travel essentials and practical tips to help you prepare for the ultimate walking adventure!
TRIP date selection
when would you like to travel?
Please select your preferred dates for on-demand trips or select a scheduled date for group departures. If you have booked a self-guided trip please understand that because your trip date is on demand and we must check availability of all properties on your chosen dates before it can be fully confirmed