Freedom & adventure awaits...
Australia's best hikes
Independent Adventures place you at the centre of the experience, giving you the confidence to be a self-reliant walker on the trail. We take care of the research needed and give you all the essential information relating to the trip (a task that seasoned walkers can tell you often takes many hours to get the correct information) so you can be thoroughly prepared and confident that you have everything you need for your adventure. We give you all the contacts and details for nearby transportation, accommodation and hire services, highlight any risks to be aware of and how to mitigate them.
The food prep is a major hassle of many hikers trips and we solve that for you. We prepare all the food that you need for your trip, all pre-measured and dehydrated / freeze dried to take away the weight but keep the freshness. Our meals are nutritionally reviewed for the demands of the walk. Our ingredients are prepared from the best local ingredients here on the Mornington Peninsula, cooked to order and freeze dried fresh – not sitting on a shelf for years at a time! We have a separate website with full details on our food range at rawtucker.com.au.
Once you arrive at the trail it’s all over to you, the adventure begins! You are free and independent to create your own experience the way you want it. We provide you with an app to help you navigate in real time on the trail and give you the campsite locations and points of interest but you are completely autonomous and self-supporting on the walk. These trips are best suited to people who relish that sense of liberation and freedom that comes with being self-reliant and don’t need the back up of a leader or group travel. Independent Adventures are different from our other self – guided walking trips as there are no briefings, transfers, or local support from RAW Travel staff. It’s just you and nature out on the trail!
Just add hiking boots...
'Adventure in a box'
Our new ‘adventure in a box’ concept is for Independent souls who enjoy the great feeling of freedom and self-reliance that comes with self -sufficient adventures in the outdoors. We have taken the hassles out of research, food preparation and bookings – traditionally the time-related obstacles that deter many would-be adventurers from venturing on multi-day trails. And at an affordable price point that puts these adventures within everyone’s reach. So with the work done for you, your biggest decision is which one of Australia’s iconic trails do you want to walk next!
Our Independent Adventures range with RAW Tucker food is shipping now!
Your trail food
We understand how important it is to start the day well fuelled and finish it with a rewarding meal. We understand you won’t just want meals that meet basic energy or tastebud needs. We know you will be walking up and down hills often over rugged terrain and that you deserve something that tastes great at the end of the day. So we have consulted with chefs, veteran hikers and nutritionists to produce meals that can satisfy big appetites after a hard day’s hiking. For flavours we’ve looked far and wide, using superfoods from the Australian bush and drawing inspiration from our favourite travels & cultures around the world.
Our home-cooked meals are sourced primarily from suppliers here on the bountiful Mornington Peninsula, renowned for its food culture. So we are working with fresh produce that supports local growers and our community. Our meal range is predominantly plant based so as to be both healthy and tread lightly on the planet’s resources.
We will be calculating and carbon offsetting all the food production and the accompanying RAW Travel trip. We support the philosophy of “re-wilding” the planet and plant a native Australian tree locally for every Independent adventure booking, so your adventure can have a positive impact.
Everything you need to know
All the essentials
Our essential information guides give you everything you need to know – and none of the information you don’t – to prepare well for one of these hikes. We cover off all transport and transfers with contacts, full equipment lists tailored to each walk, and safety factors to consider that can be unique to each track. We give you the information you need to know about water and where the best accommodation is before and after your trip, plus overviews of Aboriginal & European history and wildlife you can expect to encounter.
It saves countless hours of trawling through websites, guidebooks and forums to get to the essential information you need to know, so you don’t forget to factor in anything for your adventure.
Finding your way
Our unique RAW Travel walking app has been designed to help you navigate easily on the trail. Simply download your map with the link we send you and you’ll be able to follow your route with ease, showing your location in real time without any internet connection needed. The app has many great features; it shows you weather forecasts localised for each of your overnight stops, detailed information on each campsite/ hut and what facilities are available there so you don’t need to carry our trail guide. There is important reminders, safety information, videos and emergency contact information for your route. It also has a unique audio feature that can tell you about places and points of interest as you approach them on the trail.
View Our Walks
New walks added each week!
The Bibbulmun Track
- Exposure to the world’s most important biodiversity hotspots
- Towering Jarrah, Karri and Tingle forests
- A plethora of native mammals, reptiles, flowers and birdlife
- Epic walking along one of Australia’s iconic long distance trails
Walls of Jerusalem: Tasmania
- One of Australia’s most impressive wilderness hikes
- Stunning highland lakes
- Awe-inspiring views from mountain peak summits
- National park campsites
Kakadu Highlights: Northern Territory
- 5 day different spectacular day walks In Kakadu NP
- Visit ancient Aboriginal rock galleries and lookouts
- Walk on Kakadu escarpment, waterfalls and Billabongs
- National Park campsites
Larapinta Trail: Northern Territory
- 14 day end to end hike on Australia’s best desert walk
- Spectacular McDonnell ranges, gorges and swimming holes
- Food drops and Trailhead transfer
- National Park campsites
Cape to Cape: Western Australia
- Dramatic granite outcrops and stunning coastal scenery
- A forest of towering Karri trees – some of the tallest trees in the world
- Walking along pristine white beaches
- WA’s beautiful Margaret River region
The Overland Track
- A classic 6 day walk on the legendary Overland Track
- 63km of mountains, moors and lakes
- Prolific wildlife and a remote Alpine environment
- Camping and huts based
Great South West Walk: Victoria
- 15 day day circular walk along Victoria’s Shipwreck coast
- 262km of of fabulously varied coastal & inland trails
- Unique volcanic landscape of the world-heritage listed Budj Bim
- National Park campsites
Grampians Peak Trail: Victoria
- 3 day day circuit walk from Halls gap
- 36km of Peak trail through mountains, waterfalls
- Fantastic rock formations and Grand canyon
- National Park campsites
Great Ocean Walk: Victoria
- An 8 day full length Great Ocean Walk
- 104km of rugged coast, forests and Shipwreck history
- Cape Otway Koalas and other wildlife
- National Park campsites
Wilsons Prom Southern Circuit: Victoria
- A classic 4 day walk on the Southern Circuit
- 58km of sparkling coves, mountains, forest
- Prolific bird & wildlife
- National Park campsites
The Thorsborne trail
- 32km adventure amongst rugged tropical peaks
- Tropical rainforest walking & cascading waterfalls
- White sand beaches and creek crossings
- National Park campsites
Ikara-Flinders Ranges: South Australia
- A rich Indigenous history
- Dramatic Wilpena Pound scenery
- The Golden Spike – 500 million+ years of history
- Pine huts and homestead ruins
Six Foot Track: NSW
- Wildlife from kangaroos, wallabies, wandering wombats
- Towering sandstone cliffs and escarpment views
- Quintessential Australian native bush & camping
- Jenolan Caves and heritage, Katoomba views
The Jatbula trail
- Follow an Aboriginal dreaming trail
- Swim spots & cascading waterfalls
- Katherine Gorge and Edith falls
- Rock art of the Jawoyn People
Cooloola Great Walk
● Exploring Queensland’s first biosphere area
● Hiking along the beach highway that is Noosa North Shore
● Golden sunsets from the glistening sand dunes of Carlo Sand Blow
● Cooloola coastline, Noosa river &; Hinterland Ranges forests
K’gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk
- Towering rainforests and forests of eucalypts
- Crystal clear lakes to take a refreshing dip
- Sharing the land with the wongari (dingo)
- Camping under the stars in nature
Three Capes Track
- Stunning sunrises over the Tasman Sea
- Australia’s highest sea cliffs; standing at ‘nature’s edge’
- Cooking equipment, heating, water, eating areas, panoramic decks
- Cabin accommodation each night
Fleurieu Peninsula: Heysen Trail
- A 5 (million) star sleeping experience
- Lush native bushland and gullies, waterfalls and creek crossings
- Frolicking dolphins, breaching whales, inquisitive kangaroos, shy echidnas
Need to know
In the initial stages of offering this food service, we cannot yet cater to dietary restrictions, such as gluten intolerance. But as we continue to expand our food range and research we will aim to cater to various dietary needs and allergies with our meal range in the future.
Yes, we can ship vegetarian & vegan meals. In fact, most of our meals are plant-based so just let our consultants know when they confirm your booking back to you that you require vegetarian or vegan meals.
Our meals are sent as a complete pack comprising a varied mixture of breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners to match the number of days that you require for your trip. On trips of 8 days or less, you will be eating different meals each day but on longer duration trips you will also have some repeat meals in the mix. You can request whether you would like vegetarian / vegan meals but other variations / individual preferences cannot be catered for currently. We do intend however to set up this option in the future once we can add that ordering functionality.
We’ve wanted to share our passion for travel destinations and love of food to create an exciting range of hiking and eating experiences that draw inspiration from the places we love to hike, such as:
- Japanese Coconut Curry Soup
- Hearty Tuscan Bean hotpot
- Himalayan 3 coloured Dahl Curry
- Vietnamese Slaw Wrap – plant based chicken
- Tuna Sushi Bowl
- Chilli Non-Carne (vegetable)
- Olive and almond Hommus
- Pumpkin and Pepperberry Hommus
- Israeli Hommus
- Deconstructed Burrito
- Caribbean hot pot
- Zesty chicken salad wrap – plant based
- Lentil Cottage pie with sweet potato mash
- Spicy Mexican soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Nicoise salad
We appreciate the beauty of the Australian bush and the nutritious gifts our landscape has to offer, so we’ve drawn on inspiration there as well using ingredients such as:
- Creamy Cauliflower leek and bacon soup with saltbush
- Pumpkin & mountain pepperberry hummus
- Slow Roasted Ratatouille Fetta and Bush Tomato
- Pasta Bolognese with cinnamon myrtle
Yes there will be an option from February 2021 to order just our food with the other arrangements. You would be looking at a cost of $36 per day (one person) for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner, plus shipping costs to your home location or free pick up from our office in Mornington Victoria.
Yes, we can offer some economy of scale for groups sharing our services, information and reduced shipping costs. If you are a group of 4 or more people and you can take delivery of the food to one location only (as opposed to separate home locations) then we can offer the following discounts:.
- Group of 4-10 people: 15% off the retail price per person ( this includes any children)
Some trips may also have a discount for 2 people sharing a campsite/ hut – these are dependent on the individual trip costs and will usually be listed on the inclusions for that particular trip.
Similarly, where suppliers and Parks offer a discount for children it will be listed on the inclusions on the trip page.
Campsites / Huts/ Permits & Passes
When we book your National Parks campsites and/ or permits the confirmation comes straight to you from the relevant body for your requested dates. If after that point you need to change your bookings/departure date for whatever reason you can do that directly with the National Parks or other body as they will hold your booking details. National Parks conditions for adapting or canceling bookings may vary from walk to walk and you will need to adhere to whatever conditions apply for that walk and pay any applicable transfer or other fees directly, not to or through RAW Travel.
Additional add on services
If we have booked any additional services for you such as pre and post accommodation, trailhead transfers the booking conditions for these will be according to the relevant operators’ cancellation schedules and/or transfer fees ( if allowed). These will be confirmed to you at the time of booking and RAW Travel will charge $25 per booking for these additional changes to cover our time in rearranging these on your behalf.
Once we have shipped your food no further changes are possible. If you are rearranging your trip to a future date you may wish to advise us immediately of a later date for food delivery, particularly if the change of dates is a month or more out from your original date. Whilst the meals will not spoil like conventional food and have a much longer shelf life, the closer you receive it to its original production date the fresher and more stable it will be. We recommend that food is not stored for long periods but ideally consumed within 2-3 months of your receiving it.
The food is designed and packaged for long shelf life but recommend that is consumed within a few weeks of delivery for maximum enjoyment and taste. Whilst freeze-dried and dehydrated meals will not spoil like conventional food and have a much longer shelf life, the closer you receive it to its original production date the fresher and more stable it will be. The food is designed and packaged for long shelf life but we recommend that is consumed for the trek it has been prepared for
We strongly believe in ‘leaving no trace’ and embed ‘zero waste’ circular economy principles throughout our operations. We have put extensive time and effort into the selection of our RAW Tucker packaging, to ensure it’s as environmentally friendly as possible — pushing the boundaries of packaging standards along the way.
Our ‘Adventure in a Box’ cardboard boxes are made locally with recycled paper. We’ve carefully designed our boxes to become your very own hiking memo. We encourage you to store your hiking boots and any other essentials you need to hit the trails — that way you’re always ready to head outdoors for your next adventure. When you’re done with the box, simply place it in your kerbside recycling.
Our pouches are also locally made and we chose a beautiful nature illustration to encourage you to reuse the pouches as many times as possible when you return home. They’ve been deliberately designed with zip lock seals. Simply give them a good rinse, peel off the labels and use them to store other food. The pouch size is perfect for smoothie portions that you can even pop in your freezer — ready for a healthy breakfast in the morning. It’ll kick start your day reminding you of your awesome adventure. When done? The material used for our current pouches is metallised soft plastic and 100% recyclable via the REDCycle bins found at most major supermarkets.
Pssst. In very exciting news, we are currently working with a local packaging company and a number of food technologists to test a completely new type of home compostable pouches (Australian Standard AS5810-2010 Certified). A first on the Australian hiking scene, our home compostable pouches are set to disintegrate and ‘return to earth’ within 26 weeks in your home compost. If we can get this right, it would be a big leap in packaging design and set a completely new environmental standard for the outdoor industry here.