Experience our Yoga and Hiking retreat in India on our 7-day journey. Comfortable accommodation away from the crowds, first-class facilities and a rustic ambience and natural surroundings, we have chosen the perfect base for your adventure. Experienced guides will take you on hikes through lush subtropical rainforests, and rejuvenating daily yoga and meditation classes for all levels take place on the banks of the Ganges and other stunning locations
After The Beatles’ visit to the Maharishi Mahesh ashram in the late 1960s, Rishikesh became a magnet for yoga practitioners and spiritual seekers alike. With an abundance of yoga, ashrams, and healing centres set against the banks of the Ganges river, today it is rightly renowned as the yoga capital of the world.
Exquisitely set at the base of the Himalayas on the banks of the Ganges, Rishikesh’s streets are pulsing with the vibrant energy of temple bells, holy men undertaking their practices, and seekers on the search for enlightenment. Each evening the Ganga aarti takes place (a fire offering ceremony to the goddess river Ganga) as the sun sets against the pristine surrounds.
This opportunity to spend time in an ashram, experience aarti and satsang, listen to a seminar on Ayurveda, hike trails at the base of the Himalayas, and experience ancient yogic practices will take you on a spiritually-infused journey of inner expansion and back to the essence of the sacred tradition of yoga.
Get Ready For
- Explore Rishikesh, the birthplace of yoga
- Experience the powerful spiritual traditions of aarti and satsang
- Experience meditation and yogic practices by the holy Ganges river
- Visit an Ayurvedic wellness centre
- Take part in an Ayurvedic wellness seminar
- Comfortable accommodation surrounded by nature and the Ganges
- Fully-guided hike through Subtropical forests, waterfalls, local villages, ancient paths
ARRIVE DEHRADUNAIRPORT, WALK BYASI (4KM)
Arrive at Dehradun Airport by midday, where you will be collected and transferred to your accommodation on the banks of the Ganges. Dehradun is a short one hour flight from Delhi. The resort is set away from the busyness of the crowds, and immersed in nature. After settling in, you’ll have a trip briefing and lunch. You’ll then embark on a beautiful walk through lush subtropical flora and be rewarded with majestic views of the Ganga Valley and the village of Byasi. Your first day ends with a rejuvenating yoga and meditation session on the banks of the Ganges, and dinner.
Meals: L D
MALAKHUNTI TO KOTAGAON (9KM)
Your day begins with an energising yoga session before you begin the hike from Malakhunti to Kotagaon and back to the Sirasi bridge. This beautiful hike takes place on an ancient trail which runs above and along the majestic Ganges, offering spectacular expansive views. You take a stop at one of the pristine river beaches located on the path, before a short uphill climb to the village of Sirasu. The gradual climb then takes you to Kotagaon village, nestled on a high mountain bowl, before descending to the Sirasu bridge where your vehicle awaits on the other side for the drive back to the resort.
Ease into the afternoon listening to an informative session about Ayurveda, the oldest medical system in the world which originated in India over 5000 years ago. You will learn about Ayurvedic lifestyle, body types (doshas), diet and yoga, and simple ways to implement Ayurveda into your everyday life. Following this is a relaxing meditation and mantra by the Ganges. Mantra is a syllable or phrase which is recited repetitively during meditation and is used to focus the heart and mind and to connect to pure consciousness. The evening concludes with dinner.
Meals: B L D
Start the day with a therapeutic yoga session and breakfast followed by a day visit to the Sivananda Ashram in Rishikesh centre. This centre was founded by Swami Sivananda and is one of India’s top yoga centres. Teachings here are based around postures, breathing, relaxation, meditation and diet. You will have the opportunity to take part in the classes on offer. In the evening you have time to walk across the Ram Jhula suspension bridge to explore Rishikesh town. Soak up the energy in the centre of town before attending an aarti and satsang at Parmath Niketan Ashram. Aarti is performed in the holy cities of India every evening as dusk descends. It is a powerful spiritual ritual which uses fire as an offering to the goddess Ganga, the holiest river in India. Satsang is a ‘gathering together for the truth’ where you have the opportunity to listen to the words of a yogi master. Our day finishes with dinner at our accommodation.
Meals: B L D
WALK NEERGUDU TO TAPOVAN (10KM)
We ease into our day with an invigorating yoga class followed by breakfast before setting off on today’s walk. This walk takes us to a waterfall, through beautiful local villages, forests and viewpoints to the famous temple Kunja Puri. You will need to walk up almost 80 steps to reach the temple, but the views when you reach the top are stunning. From here you descend back through the forests to the end of the trail. The day concludes with an evening meditation and pranayama class set by the river. Pranayama is the use of breathing techniques that have been devised to enhance the life force and prana within the body, as well as calm the mind. We conclude the evening with dinner.
Meals: B L D
WALK MELAKHUNTI TO FULLCHATI (10KM)
Your day begins with morning yoga to awaken the body and mind, followed by breakfast and a short drive to commence the day’s hike. Be prepared for another day of great scenery walking through forests, villages and along ancient local trails. After lunch we drive down to the Laxshman Jhula suspension bridge. We’ll walk on the left bank of the river which is the quieter part of Rishikesh. Here we visit and explore the famous Beatles Ashram. During the 1960s and 1970s this ashram was the training centre for students of Maharashi Manesh Yogi who devised the transcendental meditation technique. We end this special day with dinner and satsang in Rishikesh town, before returning to our accommodation for the night.
Meals: B L D
WALK SINGTALLI TO MALAKHUNTI (16KM)
An energising morning yoga session and breakfast set us up for the day before we head off for a hike from Singtalli to Malakhunti. You traverse part of the ancient pilgrims’ trail to the holy Himalayan shrine of Badrinath. The trek is a more demanding route which initially climbs up from the Ganges and crosses sub-tropical forests and age old villages before a descent back to the river. Today’s trail offers sterling views and bird-watching opportunities. Our vehicle takes us back to our accommodation for lunch. Spend a relaxing afternoon here, and perhaps take up the opportunity for a massage at the accommodation’s spa centre. We have evening snacks and a meditation on the Ganges, along with our own private aarti by the beach before enjoying our final dinner at our accommodation.
DEPART DEHRADUN AIRPORT
Today is a departure day and you will be transferred back to Dehradun Airport after breakfast.
What you get
- 6 nights in comfortable accommodation
- Daily yoga and meditation sessions in stunning locations
- Qualified and experienced yoga teachers
- Guided walks at the base of the Himalayas
- All transport whilst on the tour
- Transfers to and from Dehradun Airport
- All meals except for breakfast on day 1 and lunch and dinner on day 7
- All drinks other than alcoholic beverages
- Yoga mat
- Documents pack including yoga mat bag and India Lonely Planet book
- All activities as listed on the itinerary
- Single supplement $800.00
- Travel insurance
- Optional massage
- Expenses and items of a personal nature
Yoga and Hiking
Japan – Yoga and Hiking
- Guided Shinrin- yoku (forest bathing) session
- Simple beauty and elegance of Japanese style accommodation
- Visit Nakatsugawa, Magome, Tsumago, Kiso-Fukushima and Narai
- Savour exquisite and delicately presented traditional Japanese dishes
Yoga and Hiking
Nepal – Yoga and Hiking
- Enjoy daily rejuvenating yoga/meditation on your trek
- Relax, unwind, de-stress and revitalise at a tranquil yoga retreat
- Sacred tradition of yoga and meditation in nature
- Trek in the spectacular Annapurna region
- Qualified yoga instructors and trekking guides
Yoga and Hiking
Portuguese Coastal Camino – Yoga and Hiking
- Beautiful coastal scenery on ‘the Friendly Camino’
- Experience solitude, mindfulness and reflection on the ‘Camino less travelled’
- 2 nights in magnificent Paradors (Baiona and Pontevedra)
- Fishing villages, beach walks and excellent seafood and wine on the wild Atlantic coast
Yoga and Hiking
Spain – Yoga and Hiking
- The sacred tradition of yoga while reconnecting with nature
- Participate in rejuvenating yoga and meditation sessions
- Great accommodation and luggage transfers each day
- Mindfulness and reflection on one of the world’s greatest pilgrimages
- Acknowledge your walking achievement at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela
TRIP date selection
when would you like to travel?
Please select your preferred dates for on-demand trips or select a scheduled date for group departures. If you have booked a self-guided trip please understand that because your trip date is on demand and we must check availability of all properties on your chosen dates before it can be fully confirmed