KYOTO HOTEL + TEA CEREMONY AND TRADITIONS TOUR
We will start our day with a leisurely stroll through Kyoto’s oldest Geisha district, Kamishichiken, with it’s rows of perfectly preserved “kyo-machiya” townhouses and secret laneways, before continuing on to the world renowned Kinkakuji Temple, (also known as the Golden Pavilion).
After we capture the perfect picture, we will make our way through the gardens and take a short bus ride to experience the intricacies of the ancient Japanese tradition of Tea Ceremony. This one hour ceremony was first mentioned in scriptures dating from the 8th-century, and will be performed by a kimono clad “tea master” in a 100 year old traditional Kyoto house, overlooking an exquisite Japanese garden.
Time to stretch our legs with a short walk to our lunch destination. After enjoying a specially prepared Japanese bento lunch box in the gardens of the Ryoan-ji Temple, we will take time to tour this famous world heritage listed site, and contemplate its much talked about “Dry Landscape Garden”, before our tour ends.
- Discover Kyoto’s oldest Geisha district
- Take part in a traditional tea ceremony with English interpretation
- Visit two UNESCO World Heritage listed temples
- Savour an authentic Buddhist meal
- Stay in a 110 year old traditional “machiya” (Kyoto Townhouse)
From $625 per person (based on double occupancy in low season)
- 3 nights accommodation in Kyoto (Japanese style with western toilet)
- English speaking guide
- 1 hour private tea making ceremony
- Matcha tea and traditional sweets
- Entry fees to Ryoanji and Kinakuji Temples
- Japanese bento box lunch (vegetarian option available)
- Transport to/from the tour meeting point
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Gratuities for your guide
- All meals except for lunch on the guided tour
- Duration: 5 hours
- Meeting time: 9am
- Finish time: 2pm
- Start location: Jam Jar Lounge and Inn
- End location: Jam Jar Lounge and Inn
- Transport: Walking and public transport
- Please bring: Comfortable walking shoes and water
- Group size: This is a private tour so you can best maximise your time with your guide, however other people may join you at the tea making ceremony.
- Additional notes: Any dietary requirements or food allergies should be advised at the time of booking. Guest should be aware that although cushions will be provided, there may be prolonged periods of sitting cross-legged on tatami flooring.
Housed in a 110 year old traditional “machiya” (Kyoto Townhouse), Jam Jar Lounge & Inn offers boutique style accommodation with a café lounge area with free Wi-Fi. Seamlessly combining modern design without compromising the integrity of its original Japanese ambience, each room has its own private bathroom and has been meticulously finished to pay homage to this unique Kyoto style of building. Combine this with an on-site café serving real espresso coffee and imported Australian wines, and you have a unique opportunity to experience Kyoto life through the eyes of its locals, while still enjoying everything this historic city has to offer.
*Please note that this hotel has Japanese rooms where you will sleep on futons on the floor.
In the event that this hotel is unavailable on your preferred dates, another hotel of similar standard will be offered to you. If you prefer another hotel of a different standard, please enquire with our staff for suggestions on a property suited to your needs. Pricing will vary depending on the hotel, room type and season.
How to book:
Contact our experienced specialists Rosalind and Andrea to discuss your city break needs.
Phone: (03) 5973 5413
Email: [email protected]